• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

hollaback girl

I'm actually impressed that Gizoogle has a word for reading. Wouldn't have thought people who talk like that would know what a book is.

Martin said:
That's just it - why would you want to use 'holla' (which is not a word, by the way), which means as much as shout or yell, as 'talk to you later' or 'what's up'?

Why?!

And don't get me started on 'aight' and 'sup'.

Cheers

these are my 2 favourite sayings...other than HOLLA of course

Martin, for someone who isn't even a native speaker of the language, you sure are a drag about it.[1] Languages evolve, new words appear, often through silly slang like this. I find "holla" to be an atrocity myself, but claiming it's not a word is just plain silly at this point.
Why do you not consider it to be a word? Because it's a rewriting of an old word and not added to most dictionaries [yet]? All words were invented by someone at some point; some caught on, some didn't, but they're words nevertheless. This one's certainly caught on, even if it's mainly in some circles. Is "OK" a word? It's slang, after all. Originally an acronym for "Oll Korrect", if my memory serves me right, so it's quite comparable with holla.
How long must something live on before we get to call it a word?

We could probably go on forever about this, I suspect! Oh, and I really, really did not mean to sound as patronizing as I did here, but rewriting the post seemed like more work than it's worth.
Now where's my fropping whamostrix glumpadill tutt? [1]

--
[1]: it seems Opera doesn't handle the insert-smiley buttons. O well, there could've been an exciting winkyface[2] up there)
[2]: not a real word! Or if it is, it's probably actually an insult. Whoops.

HOLLA!!!!!!!!

you know what word i hate. bling bling. lord how i hate that. i cringe writing it. it's yucky.

oystein, know what else martin really hates. having the word bananas spelled at him. it's gets his panties in a bunch.

I kinda like getting my panties in a bunch. But I hate it when people spell bananas at me, yes.

And Øystein - I'll rephrase; I don't consider these terms, these random sequences of letters (like 'Holla', 'Aight' and 'Sup') words. Like I said, I will smack upside the head whoever says these words to my face; my mother, Bruce Willis, the Pope, I don't care.

*SMACK!

Cheers

I'm going to New York in September, and will be in Amsterdam for a couple of hours between flights. Fancy coming out to the airport so I can go "Holla aight brah" at you in a particularly embarrassingly Norwegian accent?

But "sup" is a word even if you remove the slang meaning. To quote the ol' Cole Porter tune "Too darn hot": "I like to sup with my baby tonight".
OK, so now I AM intentionally being an ass. Yay!

yo yo 'sup!!!!

"it's my party and i'll spam if i want to, spam if i want to, spam if i want to. you would spam to if it happened to youooooouoooooooououou"

i am a fabulous singer. ask anyone who knows me. anyone, anyone. bueller....
i don't think i am as good a singer as direstraits. his voice is like liquid heaven.

Thanks for reviving this thread- I would have never seen it otherwise. It might be my favorite thread ever! Or, is it EVAR!?

*edit* Love that Urban Dictionary link too! :)

Back