• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The book you are reading in a paragraph or les

SFG75

Coffee was discovered in Ethiopia by Kaldi, a goat-herder. The Muslim sultans protected the bean until it was smuggled out to India and consequently to the rest of the world. Every bean around today may be a derivitive of a plant taken by a French captain on a perilous journey. Brazil commonly depresses prices by over producing, thus hurting the workers on plantations consistently. They also love government subsidies to save them from their own incompetence. Coffee is a MUST in times of war and in post-war times, large coffee company executives, who would screw up a two car funeral, drive the industry to the precipice of destruction time and time again. Perfectionist coffee snobs are the only reponsible party who keep the industry from crashing.
-Uncommon Grounds by Mark Pendergrast.

How about your book?

Like The Da Vinci Code, but far better and with vampires

Great description, although I don't know if The Historian is that much better than the dreaded DVC!

Anyway...

Young Flavius Aetius is taken hostage by the Huns and lives among them for many years. He grows to accept their customs and way of life, even fighting alongside them. Eventually Flavius ends up fighting the army of Attila, once a close friend of his.

Great description, although I don't know if The Historian is that much better than the dreaded DVC!

Anyway...

Young Flavius Aetius is taken hostage by the Huns and lives among them for many years. He grows to accept their customs and way of life, even fighting alongside them. Eventually Flavius ends up fighting the army of Attila, once a close friend of his.

So what do you think of The Sword of Attila? I read that a year ago, but stopped about half way through, I can't remember why exactly, though I think I started reading another book and it got lost in the shuffle. I do remember that the dialogue was boring to me and that it could've been written better. I did like how "historical" it was to some extent. The exchanging of each king's sons as "prisoners" to solidify an agreement was something I read of before. Not enough blood and gore for me, or at least, I quit reading before it got to that point. Enjoy the reading and do let us know what you thought of it.:)

An effeminate Frenchman reminisces about his childhood after the death of his father. Sexual attraction for his cousin, shameful secrets about his aunt, and the narrator thinks his mom should wear black for life. That's basically it after 20 pages. But the prose is beautiful!

I read that a year ago, but stopped about half way through, I can't remember why exactly, though I think I started reading another book and it got lost in the shuffle. I do remember that the dialogue was boring to me and that it could've been written better. I did like how "historical" it was to some extent. The exchanging of each king's sons as "prisoners" to solidify an agreement was something I read of before. Not enough blood and gore for me, or at least, I quit reading before it got to that point.

I like it. I originally thought the book was going to be one long battle scene since Ford's books were described as "novels of ancient warfare", and while there's a good deal of action, there's also some attention to historical detail and negotiating. The dialogue isn't anything special, yes, but I've read worse before. So far it's a good one!

Tells the story of Henry VIII's first wife, Catherine of Aragon. It covers her royal upbringing in Spain to her later experiences in the English royal court as a woman first betrothed to the Prince of England, and later married to the King.

The Prince of the Marshes

Rory is installed as CPA governor. Projects are doled out, clerics want to kill each other rather than cooperate. The followers of Muqtada al-Sadr are thugs and despicable human beings. The Italians hide whenever there is gunfire(the Ukranians are just as worthless) Rory leaves both provinces, everything goes wrong as power is transferred and violence reigns.

Rory is installed as CPA governor. Projects are doled out, clerics want to kill each other rather than cooperate. The followers of Muqtada al-Sadr are thugs and despicable human beings. The Italians hide whenever there is gunfire(the Ukranians are just as worthless) Rory leaves both provinces, everything goes wrong as power is transferred and violence reigns.

My name is Rory! I must read that book :p

The life of a Dublin man is as significant as an ancient Greek hero.
Ulysses.

Whiny 14 year old girl cries about her boring life and makes me want to kill myself. Honestly, this book is horrible, i'm not even finishing it.

Theo's life is falling apart. His girlfriend leaves him after their baby dies, his mom dies, and he's still stuck in a going-nowhere band when he's in his 30s. But then, a horrible thing in the body of a corpse tries to kill him and he escapes only through the intervention of a fairy named Applecore. She brings him to another world, Faeire, where he becomes involved in a war between the Flower lords. Pretty darn awesome :)

Back