• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Travelogues

Stormbringer

Howdy.

After reading the journals of Lewis & Clark early last year, thought I'd scope out some more reading in a similar vein. Ordered, Twain's *'The Innocents Abroad'. And also, 'Richard Halliburton's Complete Book of Marvels' by Richard Halliburton.

Halliburton seems to be the true life prototype for the Indiana Jones character. In fact, the fellow disappeared at sea. Sounds like an interesting book.

What other travelogues might you recommend?

* An 1899 copy, snagged it for $9.00, was this a good or bad price to have paid?

A bit more modern, but:
Any of Bill Bryson's
Any of Louis Theroux's
Round Ireland With a Fridge by Tony Hawks (I didn't think this was that special, but lots of people love it)
The Art of Travel by Alain De Botton
The Life and Adventure's of John Nicol
Scribbling the Cat: Travels With an African Soldier by Alexandra Fuller

I have no idea if that's a good price but it sounds it for a book of that age!!

Hey Hey steffee, pleased to meet you.

Wow! Great list, thanks for taking the time to compile it. So what do enjoy reading?

I personally like travel memoirs from Italy.....

Italian Affair by Laura Fraser

Under the Tuscan Sun by Frances Mayes

Extra Virgin: A Young Woman Discovers the Italian Riviera, Where Every Month Is Enchanted by Annie Hawes

The Reluctant Tuscan: How I Discovered My Inner Italian by Phil Doran

Seasons in Basilicata: A Year in a Southern Italian Hill Village
by David Yeadon

Notes from a Roman Terrace by Joan Marble

Seasons of Rome: A Journal by Paul Hofmann

Howdy angerball. Bill Bryon - I'll look up some reviews online, 'Good for a laugh', chuckle that's great, I like a good laugh!

Bill Bryson tops my list!

I found Under the Tuscan Sun so-so. There was some good writing in it, but I got disgusted with it towards the end when she seemed to have a religious conversion that bordered on the hysterical (and not the "funny" definition of hysterical).

Back